Canaan Valley Paragliding Liability Waiver
UPDATED : October 2016
Canaan Valley State Park and the U. S. Hotel and Resort Management Inc. grant permission to enter the Canaan Valley State Park for the purpose of paragliding only under the terms of this contract.
I,_________________________________the undersigned accept all responsibility for damages, accidents or harm (including bodily injury or death) to myself or other persons, or real and personal property damage on account of coming onto said property including but not limited to, connected with or growing out of any and all activities of any kind whatsoever, including but not limited to any activities associated with or related to Paragliding, the use of flight devices, including but not limited to launching, flying or landing of any flight device while in the Canaan Valley area or any property owned by landowners or any property owners or heirs upon which the pilot and/or flight device may land upon. This contract includes all of the time I am in the area. Once I enter the Canaan Valley area, I am responsible for myself and other people who are with me under the terms of this contract.
I also agree to waive my rights to legal action and to hold blameless the landowners and property owners upon which I may launch or land and their family members heirs, agents and employees from any and all claims (including legal costs) while I am in the Canaan Valley areas.
This contract is binding upon heirs, next of kin, executors and administrators of estate.
I also agree that while I am in the Canaan Valley area in that:
1. I have in my possession a valid and current USHPA Membership Card, with a minimum of a P-3/H-3 rating. Individuals who are not current USHPA Members, may not fly from this site.
2. I have read and understand the provisions within the Canaan Valley Risk Management Plan.
3. I will observe safety precautions necessary to keep the area safe for myself and others, including no public consumption of alcohol or use of any illegal drugs.
4. I agree that the terms of this contract will continue throughout any and all entries to the area; additional changes or new terms may be required for future entry.
5. I agree to fly with an EN approved reserve parachute and exhibit good and conservative judgment.
6. I will carry a 2-way radio and monitor the designated frequency.
7. This agreement is subject to the terms of West Virginia state law, which shall be the sole jurisdiction for its interpretation and enforcement.
8. No modifications to the agreement may be made except by written agreement subscribed and witnessed by all parties involved.
9. I have read and agree to the terms of this contract.
10. I agree that landowners reserve the right to terminate this contract at any time without cause or recourse or notice.
Name (printed) Date
Address_ _____________________________ Signature
Phone # Email
CANAAN VALLEY FLIGHT RULES
1. Pilots must be current USHGA member for legal liability and site preservation reasons.
2. Pilots must have a current P-3 or higher USHGA rating.
3. The use of helmets and EN approved reserve parachutes are mandatory.
4. Pilots should clear traffic and yell, launching before taking off and entering the flight pattern.
5. No use of motors from the launch site.
6. Pilots must fly with a tree rescue line.
7. Pilots must attend a site briefing from an approved site guide before being allowed to fly.
· There are power lines in several of the fields used for landing. Maintain a clearance above landing field power lines. Maintain a minimum 150 ft clearance above the high voltage transmission lines adjacent to Rt 32.
· Follow the rules of the ridge.
· Clear your launches and turns all around, above and below you.
· After landing, move your glider out of the middle of the field so others can safely land.
· All pilots must have an operational radio. The official radio frequency will be designated at the ski lodge.
· Regardless as to whether they choose to ride the lift, all pilots must purchase a ticket from the ski lodge in order to advise the park staff that you will be flying.
· Pilots should check NOTAMs for the possible presence of military training flights through the valley.
· Pilots should not fly when wind speed is greater than 15 mph at launch or when the wind direction crosses the launch at an angle greater than 45 degrees.
· Pilots should carry a cell phone for emergencies.
· We recommend that pilots carry and use an emergency locator device.
· The site is for day use only. No overnight camping.
· In case of an emergency, call 911.
· DO NOT LITTER.
· Pilots need to respect all landowners property. Remember that we are able to fly only with the consent of the landowners. Please treat all landowners kindly.
RULES OF THE RIDGE
· Always clear your turns. See, Be Seen and Avoid.
· Do not pin other pilots against the ridge. Leave enough room to turn out from the ridge.
· In ridge soaring conditions, pass on the right.
· Watch other pilots head and eyes for clues as to the next move.
· First pilot to enter a thermal establishes turning direction. The lower pilot has the right of way.
· In ridge soaring conditions, the faster glider overtaking another glider, passes on the inside (ridge side).
· Please stay in a counter clockwise rotation when ridge soaring. The glider on the right has the right of way.
· Thermaling should be done outside the ridge soaring pattern.